Hello Hot Houston Weather! Yes, it is true. The hot weather is quickly settling in on our great city of Houston. The month of April has seen some high temperatures and this is just the start of the hot months to come. And this can be a formula for heat disaster:
High temperatures + lots of humidity – cooling breezes = HEAT DISASTER
Our bodies can only take so much heat before damage occurs. Our bodies need to cool down to restore balance and equilibrium. If we do not allow our bodies that opportunity, we can create some everlasting damage. So, what can you do to stay cool during the hot weather? You can take these precautionary steps:
1. Drink more fluids, preferably water or other sugar-free beverages. Do not wait until you are thirsty to take a gulp; stay hydrated by drinking often.
2. Stay indoors in an air-conditioned space. Ceiling fans work too, but air conditioning is what’s recommended.
3. If you must be in the heat, try to be outdoors in the morning or evening hours, not during peak hours. Wear a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses to protect your peepers, and sunscreen (and re-apply often).
4. Wear light-colored, loose-fitting, and lightweight clothes. The hot weather is not the time to wear the warm clothes. You want your body to be able to cool down naturally and that means it needs the opportunity to breathe.
5. Take a break. Find a bench, a spot under a shady tree, or an air-conditioned store, and rest. Allow your body the chance to slow down, cool down, and breathe. Do not push yourself to do as much as you would on a cool day.
By practicing these heat safety tips, you are more likely to have an enjoyable summer free from heat concerns. If, however, you find yourself in the hot weather and feeling sick from the heat, take a break, hydrate, and get to a cool place. If that doesn’t work, get to a doctor right away.